Blackmagic URSA 4K Cinema Camera
Blackmagic Design and founder Grant Petty dropped another bombshell, this time at NAB 2014 in Las Vegas, NV. Not to be outdone by announcements at previous year’s NAB show, Blackmagic Design announced two new 4K cameras- The Blackmagic Studio Camera (BMSC), and the URSA. Both cameras feature a large (10″ – 1080p), integrated LCD screen that is being called “The World’s Largest Viewfinder.” To top it off, URSA features a large user-upgradable Super 35 (global shutter) 4K image sensor. Because the sensor and lens mount assembly can be changed, customers can choose EF or PL lens mounts, or even a broadcast video sensor with B4 mount, then upgrade the camera in the future. The Blackmagic URSA EF model will retail for $5,995.
While many shooters are thrilled with the announcement, some couldn’t help but pick on the somewhat bulky design of the URSA. One Reddit user uncovered what is thought to be the earliest design concept from Blackmagic Design:
All jokes aside, the announcement of two new 4K cameras from Blackmagic Design show the industry quickly adopting 2K+ resolution as the new standard in production. Blackmagic Design manages to pack impressive specs into an affordable package for filmmakers, something they’ve continued to do since the original Blackmagic Cinema Camera. Details/Specs can be found below:
- Large high resolution 4K Super 35 mm sized sensor with superior handing of image detail.
- Professional global shutter for smooth pans and image motion.
- Wide 12 stops of dynamic range allows capture of increased details for feature film look.
- Compatible with extremely high quality PL or EF mount lenses.
- User upgradable design allows customers to upgrade and change the sensor and lens mount.
- Built in dual CFast 2.0 card recorders allow unlimited duration recording in high quality.
- Open file formats compatible with popular NLE software, such as Apple ProRes and compressed CinemaDNG 12 bit RAW. No custom file formats.
- Support for ProRes HQ, ProRes 422, ProRes LT, ProRes Proxy recording at resolutions up to Ultra HD.
- Features all standard connections, including dual XLR mic/line audio inputs with phantom power, 6G-SDI output for monitoring with camera status graphic overlay and separate XLR 4 pin power output for viewfinder power, 6G-SDI monitoring input, headphone jack, LANC remote control and standard 4 pin 12V DC power connection.
- Built in stereo microphones for recording sound.
- 3 separate built in LCD monitors for camera settings and metadata entry. Large 10 inch screen folds out for full resolution HD monitoring with wide viewing angle and high brightness.
- Supports Ultra HD and 1080 HD resolution capture in 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 30 up to 60 fps.
- Features liquid cooling system allowing higher frame rates when future sensors support this feature.
- Supports quick release tripod mounts and adding V-Mount and Anton/Bauer mount battery plates.
- Includes full copy of DaVinci Resolve software color grading and editing software.
Photo Via: @gnbupdates